Acrylic Beverage Coasters - Design Tech Project



For my design tech project, I created 5 coasters and an accompanying coaster holder. Everything is made from clear acrylic, and the coasters are adorned with engravings of the Post Oak Bearkat paw. 

I made the coaster using Adobe Illustrator to create the design and a laser cutter to engrave and cut out the coasters. The coasters are 3.5 inches in diameter and a quarter of an inch thick. Firstly, I created circles and found the design of the Bearkat paw. The background of the coaster is filled with topographic lines. I designed the coaster holder in pieces on Adobe Illustrator, and after cutting it out with the laser cutter, I used acrylic cement to bond the pieces together. 

I like the see-through aspects of the coasters the most because it feels unique and kind of futuristic. I also really like how the coaster holder allows the coasters to stand on their sides. 

The most challenging aspect of the project for me was designing and assembling the coaster holder. It took me a rough draft to straighten out all of the kinks in my design, and I had to be extremely precise with the acrylic cement in order to connect the pieces correctly. The acrylic cement causes a chemical reaction in the acrylic plastic, effectively melting and bonding it in a matter of seconds. 

If I had to do the project again, I would probably use wood instead of acrylic so I could design a wooden coaster and utilize the CNC Router. I would also change the base of the holder to be flush with the sides instead of longer. 

Now that I have these coasters, I plan to use them on the dinner table, keeping the table dry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet me at Midnights coasters - Design Tech Project - Federico Sanchez

Quidditch Set coasters - Max Barger

Flower Coasters Jaycie Fazande