Geometric Octagon Coasters




    
     


  • .What is your project?
    • For my project, I made a set of 4 octagon coasters and a coaster holder. The coasters are made out of purple heart, with an engraved design. My coaster holder is made out of walnut wood. 
  • How did you make it?
    • First I had to design my coasters on Adobe Illustrator. After figuring out what shape and what designs I wanted on my coasters, I started working on my coaster holder. They were scaled designs, so the holder was designed to be .1 inches wider, in order to leave room for the coasters. After They were completely designed, I used the CNC Router to cut out my coaster holder. Originally I had two pieces because my coasters were going to be much bigger. However that did not work out, so I only used half of my holder. After I was done with my holder, I used the Laser Printer to cut out my coasters. After everything was cut out, I sanded it down with 150-400 grit sandpaper. After it was completely sanded, I used a finishing oil made out of linseed oil and beeswax to finish my coasters. I did two coats with that, and used steel wood to burnish the coasters and the holder after each coat. 
  • What do you like most about your project?
    • I like everything about my project, but I especially like the woods I used to make it. I also like the design I chose to engrave in my coasters. I think it all came together nicely. 
  • What was challenging about this project?
    • There was a lot of trial and error in making these coasters, that was probably the most challenging part of making my project. 
  • What would you change about the project if you did it again?
    • During the designing portion of my project, I slightly messed up one of my measurements, that caused my coasters to not be completely symmetrical. If I could do it again, I would make sure that doesn't happen again.  
  • What is your plan for it now that it's done?
    • I plan to put my coasters in my living room, and use them as coasters. At the moment, we do not have coasters in my living room, so I think it would be nice to add some. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet me at Midnights coasters - Design Tech Project - Federico Sanchez

Quidditch Set coasters - Max Barger

Flower Coasters Jaycie Fazande