Illustrator coaster designs (4) - Design Tech


apologies for the low quality graphics 


What is your project?

My project is a set of coasters with different engravings on each, paired with a simple looking coaster holder. I was planning to cut the coasters out on light-colored wood, like cherry wood, and the coaster holder from a darker wood, preferably walnut. 


How did you make it?

I started by gathering ideas and inspiration from the internet and hand-drawing potential designs. Once I had a general plan I started working with illustrator. I found images that I could put together and edit to make my design as well as creating shapes and lines in the program. I didn't get to cut out my project because I'm a student online, so the extent of my project ends here. 


What do you like most about your project?

I liked having the authority to make creative decisions and seeing the "final" product actually look like what I'd envisioned it to be. 



What was challenging about this project?

A big challenge for me was creating the dog design. Most of the lines were separated from each other and lots of them were overlapping and crisscrossing where they didn't need to be. It took me a while to get what I wanted after editing all the overlapping lines and connect the unconnected lines. but other than this it was a smooth ride.  

innitial coaster holder idea


coaster display

What would you change about the project if you did it again?

One thing I would change would be the coaster holder. At first, I thought a simple design would complement the interesting and different engravings on the coasters but after a while, I wished I could make a holder that displays the coasters instead of lining them all up against each other. 

The second thing I would change would be the coaster with the latte art design on it. I thought the cat silhouette by the window and the dog were going to be complicated so I wanted one of the coasters to be less chalenging. in doing so this design feels out of place, so in the future, if I have time I'd like to think up a different design that fits in with the group. 


What is your plan for it now that it's done?

Now that I've completed designing them in illustrator I want to brainstorm some ideas for what I'd like to replace the latte art coaster with, and maybe when im in person again cut, sand and finish my designs. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet me at Midnights coasters - Design Tech Project - Federico Sanchez

Quidditch Set coasters - Max Barger

Flower Coasters Jaycie Fazande