Rose Coasters- Design Tech Project

 What is your project?

This is my coaster set and coaster holder. The coaster holder is made out of Purpleheart wood. The coasters are made out of Maple and Purpleheart wood inlay.

How did you make it?

I made the coasters on the laser cutter. I started by cutting the maple part to hold the purpleheart rose. I proceeded to cut the purpleheart roses, I had to flip the image of the rose so that I could combine the two types of wood. Once the two parts of my coaster were finished I had to hammer the two together. Once the pieces were together I used the power sander. After this, I printed my coaster holder with a CNC Router (Carvey) in two pieces and I glued them together. Once the glue dried I used the power sander on my coaster holder. Once all of my project was sanded I used a mixture of linseed oil and beeswax to seal the wood and bring out the beautiful color of the maple and purpleheart. 

What do you like most about your project?

The thing that I like most about my project is the way the final design looks. I really like the way that the purpleheart inlayed in the maple makes the rose to be shown.

What was challenging about this project?

A challenge for me in this project was printing my coaster holder. The reason that this was a problem for me was that I had to print it 2 times and nearly had to do it a third time. Thankfully I was able to use my second print and did a few adjustments with the power sander. 

Another challenge I had was that made the borders of my coasters very thin and when I inserted the purpleheart into the maple wood, the maple started to slightly crack. 

What would you change about the project if you did it again?

I would make the borders of my coaster bigger to prevent the cracks that occurred. I think that by doing this my project would look even better than it already is. 

What is your plan for it now that it's done?

I plan to use it in my room to hold my glasses since I have noticed that my wood is starting to slightly stain. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet me at Midnights coasters - Design Tech Project - Federico Sanchez

Quidditch Set coasters - Max Barger

Flower Coasters Jaycie Fazande