Quetzalcoatl Coasters and Coaster Holder - Design Tech Project


Coasters and Coaster Holder 

Coaster Holder 

Coasters 

Coasters and Coaster Holder

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quetzalcoatl Coasters and Coaster Holder

My project consists of three coasters and one coaster holder and is themed around the Nahua god Quetzalcoatl. All four designs are various images imported and put together by me. Using a CNC router (A machine specializing in cutting on specific pieces of wood or plastic), and a laser cutter meant for making the actual designs on the coasters and cutting out less precise pieces such as the boundaries of the coasters and coaster holder. 

My favorite part of the project was seeing how my work was finally materializing in front of me while it was being engraved with the laser cutter. I also enjoyed researching and planning my project in Adobe Illustrator. 

During my journey of making these, I encountered a few challenges, the main one was understanding how the laser cutter works and how to use it. While not complicated, the laser cutter requires lots of steps which confused me at first, I did not import it correctly from Adobe Illustrator to Google Drive and ended up with the laser cutter not cutting out the pieces of wood after engraving them, making me start over again. I also had to learn how to use the CNC router, which I did not mess up in but was still a challenge to learn. 

If I would change one thing it would be to make my coaster designs more sleek, perhaps less symbols with a more protruding, singular design, such as the one with my coaster holder. 

Now that I have finished my project, I will take it home and use it for personal use and for my family to use it. I hope it will last and be good at holding drinks on top of it. 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet me at Midnights coasters - Design Tech Project - Federico Sanchez

Quidditch Set coasters - Max Barger

Game of Thrones Coasters