Family Coasters - Design Tech Project

    For my design tech project, I chose to make coasters, one to symbolize each member of my immediate family. The four coasters contain each of the first letters of their names, each with an object next to or in front of the letters symbolizing one of our top interests. The puzzle-shaped pieces serve two functions - not only can the four small coasters be used together for larger items (shown below), but they also show our family is not complete without all of us. In addition to the coasters, I made a stylish coaster holder that stores the coasters on their sides.

    With help from Mr. Grisbee, my teacher, and some inspiration online, I designed my coasters and coaster holder by using Adobe Illustrator, a lengthy and work-intensive process. I then cut the coasters using a laser cutter, and the coaster holder on the CNC router and table saw. 

    My favorite part of this project was seeing my project being cut out because I could see them in real life instead of on Illustrator.

    Though the project was very challenging indeed, above all, it was the most challenging to design in Adobe Illustrator. My coasters were done with a degree of complexity that I was unable to do on my own, but I managed to complete them in the end.

    If I did this project again, I would  use my time wisely in creating the design more efficiently. That way I could verify the designs and have the time to make changes. I would also make sure what I designed is what would be cut because there was a problem with getting the dimensions right on the CNC router, and I consequently ran out of walnut wood (the darker wood I used) for making too many cuts. 

    I would also make sure my coaster holder is the correct size, and pay more attention to my sanding for a more stable coaster holder as well as sanding to make sure the lines are straight.

    I plan for my family to use it under drink glasses or water bottles. Also because of the puzzle design, I can put them together for the large pitchers used at family gatherings.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet me at Midnights coasters - Design Tech Project - Federico Sanchez

Quidditch Set coasters - Max Barger

Zodiac Sign Coasters-Design Tech Project