SAMPLE: Geometric Hexagon Coasters with Epoxy Inlays - Design Tech Project



What is your project?

This is my coaster set and coaster holder. They are both made out of walnut wood, and the coasters also have black epoxy resin for the inlays.

How did you make it?

I made the coasters on the laser cutter and then filled in the gaps with epoxy that I had dyed black. The coaster holder was cut out on the CNC Router (Carvey) in two pieces and then glued together. Once everything was glued and dried I did a lot of sanding with a random orbital sander, sandpaper, and Dremel sanding disc. I finished all of the pieces with a mixture of linseed oil and beeswax to seal the wood and bring out the beautiful color of the walnut. I also attached some thin cork on the bottom so they have a little more grip on the table.

What do you like most about your project?

I like that the final product looks like something you would buy, and also that each of the coasters have their own unique design. I like that the coaster holder looks like it is made out of one piece of wood, even though it is actually from two separate cuts.

What was challenging about this project?

One of the biggest challenges was working with the epoxy and making sure that there weren't any bubbles in the pour. Also, sanding off the epoxy took quite a bit of time and required making a jig to keep the coasters in place. 

Another challenge was sanding the coaster holder evenly and fully to clean up the edges where it was glued, especially on the inside where it was harder to reach the corners.

What would you change about the project if you did it again?

I would probably try to get a heat gun or hair dryer when working with the epoxy resin to make sure that the air bubbles get fully out of the pour. I'm not 100% satisfied with there being a couple of bubble spots on one of the coasters, so it's definitely something that I would do better in the future.

What is your plan for it now that it's done?

I plan to use it in my living room to keep glasses and mugs from messing up the walnut coffee table that the coasters match.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet me at Midnights coasters - Design Tech Project - Federico Sanchez

Quidditch Set coasters - Max Barger

Flower Coasters Jaycie Fazande