Zodiac Sign Coasters-Design Tech Project






  • What is your project?
    • My project for Design Tech is zodiac-themed coasters! I made one for each member of my family, with their sun sign.
  • How did you make it?
    • I started my process by making a design from scratch on adobe illustrator. I added the zodiac name, symbol, and star alignment on each of the coasters, along with some stars in the back to match the galaxy theme. After my design was completed, I transferred it over to be cut in the Laser Cutter. I cut my design out on maple wood, then I made my holder design. I went for a fairly simple design, so it doesn't take the spotlight away from the coasters. After all of my parts were cut out, I sanded them all down in preparation for finishing oil. I did my first layer of finishing oil, then I burnished it (with steel wool), and kept doing this process for another 2 layers. This project took many hours of hard work, but I am very pleased with the results. 
  • What do you like most about your project?
    • I like how my project is completely unique to my family. This is definitely something my family will put to good use, and because of the high-quality materials I used, it can be used for many years without damage. 
  • What was challenging about this project?
    • My design was very intricate, and I had to hand-draw the constellation which was very hard. I'd say I faced many challenges during this process, but my teacher, Mr. Grisbee, was always nearby and very helpful.
  • What would you change about the project if you did it again?
    • If I were to do my project again, I would switch the wood out for something lighter. I feel like the dark wood drowns out my design, and I really wanted that to pop. 
  • What is your plan for it now that it's done?
    • These will be going straight to my living room to be used by my whole family!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet me at Midnights coasters - Design Tech Project - Federico Sanchez

Quidditch Set coasters - Max Barger

Flower Coasters Jaycie Fazande