Coaster project (Freedom and Justice) - Ian N. (Possibly TBA)

 My coasters and coaster holders Project was based on symbols of justice and freedom. The symbols I used were the straw Hat Jolly roger; symbolizing peace and freedom, the Revolutionary Army symbol; representing justice, Roger’s Jolly roger; representing freedom and independence, and the Baroque symbol; representing justice. All of my symbols are meaningful to me, as they come from a literary work and TV show I and my friends used to love called “One Piece,” which has been ongoing for almost 30 years. I planned and sketched the dimensions for my coasters by hand before making them on Adobe Illustrator. All of my coasters were done by hand, as the only thing requiring some vectoring for reference were some bones. After some data loss and configuring, I was able to use the laser cutter to make my coasters, although I had to use a separate piece of Cherry hardwood for all except 2. For my coaster holder, I wanted to make it seem like it appears as a straw hat, which signifies freedom in One Piece. I sketched my design in Adobe Illustrator and implemented that design into an easel to finish its concept design. With some trial and error, I was eventually able to finish my piece made of cherry hardwood. I used the CNC router to carve my design to life. Lastly, I sanded them before putting my coasters in the holder and finishing.


I like that my project allowed me to recreate symbols that project important themes in a series that I and my friends see as important to our childhood. My coaster process came with some hardships due to some missed days and loss of data, which put me behind in terms of time. When I had gotten 2 of my coasters done, I lost my Adobe folders that didn’t save properly, making me recreate them from scratch. Furthermore, my initial coaster holder cut out was too shallow, as I forgot to change the depth of the wood back to .75 after changing it from cherry plywood to walnut hardwood in the easel. However, I was eventually able to finish and was happy with the result. However, I will probably add more to the coaster holder myself after the project. If I had to change something, it would probably have been to find a better way to incorporate the sea into my coasters, as it represents the most freedom the world offers. I will probably keep my project in the kitchen of my parents’ house, as I believe I or my parents will end up using them.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet me at Midnights coasters - Design Tech Project - Federico Sanchez

Quidditch Set coasters - Max Barger

Zodiac Sign Coasters-Design Tech Project